Prep. time: 10 min. Cooking time: 15 min. Serving: 2
- 90 g of Fonio by REBEL GRAINS
- ½ small white or yellow onion
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons of ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons of ground coriander
- 1 ½ teaspoons of ground turmeric
- 1 ½ teaspoons of kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon of ground fenugreek
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil, divided
- ½ l of water or low-sodium vegetable broth
- 35 g of toasted pecans
- 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh parsley leaves or cilantro
- 3 tablespoons of raisins
Dice a small white or yellow onion. Mince 2 large garlic cloves (about 1 tablespoon). Place the ground cumin, coriander, turmeric, fenugreek, salt, black pepper and smoked paprika in a small bowl and stir to combine.
Heat 2 tablespoons of the neutral oil in a small saucepan over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the spice mixture and cook, stirring often, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add the remaining oil (1 tablespoon) and fonio, and stir until coated in the spices. Add the water or low-sodium vegetable broth. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Continue to boil for 1 minute more.
Reduce the heat to low and cook for 1 minute. Cover and remove from the heat. Let sit for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, coarsely chop the toasted pecans. Pick and chop fresh parsley leaves or cilantro until you have 2 tablespoons.
Uncover and fluff the fonio with a fork. Add the pecans, parsley or cilantro, and the raisins, and gently fold to combine.